Cobbs Hill Methodist Church:
“This one room place of worship was built block by block by the slaves and the free blacks, and completed in 1827 after two years of rigorous work. Bermuda stones were used from the local quarries to build the church. Most of the work was done during their free time at night. “
At St. Peter’s Church
Free or enslaved blacks COULD worship with the Episcopalians (they drove the carriages of their owners?) but were in the balcony at the oldest continually used Anglican church in the western hemisphere:
Both are on the African Diaspora Heritage Trail
Both will be filled with worshippers this Sunday.